Wednesday, July 15, 2009

week four and half of week five

The first "semester" of classes are done and I aced the finals as well as the class as a whole.  Yay!  We had no homework for the whole weekend, so it was kind of like a condensed winter break, and then things picked back up on Monday...  If anything, it's harder now.  We've had dictation quizzes everyday, some days we have more than one, and more homework than before.  But it's good.  Today there was an optional Arabic calligraphy class offered after regular class and I went with Lauren II.  It was very cool!  Then Lauren II and I went to the coffee house, which is going out of business today (boo!) and discussed politics.  She worked on the Obama campaign in several states and it was very interesting to hear her talk about what she sees going on right now and what she saw during the campaign.  Also, she's a fantastic person and I really adore her.  After coffee shop adventure, we went to Barnes & Noble and I bought the latest issue of the Atlantic, which looks amazing- check it out- and the Washington Report On Middle East Affairs, which looks really interesting.  And, I bought a set of calligraphy pens for the Arabics.  Very exciting.  

The Dead Weather album was released yesterday.  It is amaaaazing.  Lauren II and I had a homework party listening to it together.  It was excellent usage of our time.

Also, this is just proof of how much we're learning here: I had my first dream in Arabic last night.  Five weeks after knowing only about three phrases and lots of obscure Islamic terms.  I woke myself up I was so excited about it, at three a.m., and there was a thunderstorm going on.  It was a wonderful moment in my life. 

1 comment:

Doc Luben said...

I always love it when new ideas finally arrive in my dreams. And new people-- not a lot of people I know turn up in my dreams, so when someone does it feels like a big deal. Miss you, love.