Sunday, January 25, 2009

every inch

I have had a delightful day.  I woke up early today before anyone else on my floor and went grocery shopping.  It was very very cold and very very peaceful to be up so early.  The grocery store sent me some coupons before break and they expire tomorrow so I used them up today which meant feeling very satisfied with my ability to survive in the world.  Then I came back and read Ways of Seeing by John Berger.  It was fascinating.  So rarely does one find a book that is simultaneously simple and provocative of a deep revelation.  I highly recommend it.  It's quite short so one can read it in a few hours, and it explains things about our current condition so accurately that one can hardly refused to be changed by it.  After breakfast shenanigans, I organised my closet and other areas of my side of my dorm room.  Then, when Lauren and Danielle came back from taking a test, we went into town.  It was bitterly cold and rather dark.  We went to a little record store with a very specific selection of genres.  Lauren bought the new Andrew Bird CD that looks delicious.  Then we went to an art store so John could get some stuff for his art class.  I debated for while whether or not I wanted to buy a moleskin notebook for my Electronic Music class notes.  Then  I decided that 11 dollars is about 5 dollars too many to pay for a little notebook.  I'll find a cheaper one to serve the same function.  In any case, after that, Danielle and Michael and I went to the little Thai food stand that we love and got yellow curry and came back.  When we came back, we discovered that Anan had made traditional Chinese Lunar New Year food for us to eat.  Strange and delicious.  We ate doughnuts we'd gotten at the delicious 21 hours a day bakery in town and gave him one in exchange for his making delicious food.  Then we ended up curled up in the common room playing Truth (Truth or Dare without Dares because they're boring).  That was a nice bonding experience.  We were all calm and relaxed and open so it was good.  Now it's snowing again.  That was pretty much my Saturday.  Tomorrow, there's a free concert at a venue downtown and we're going to see Blitzen Trapper at 10:30 at night.  Should be delightful. 

No comments: