Tuesday, April 14, 2009

napowrimo #14: road trip

stuck at a toll booth crossing the 
Golden Gate Bridge
grandpa rolled down the glass
on the Mercury and
bumped the windowlock with his elbow
and the rain and cold poured 

over the protection of his arm 
draping skin over bone barely covered in flesh.
the car crammed with the proof of his patriarchy
suddenly became loud with complaints

of the biting damp and
cold air sweeping of the january bay.
confused, he can't figure out the buttons
on the control panel and

drives ten under, swerving against
the chaotic cacophony 
unsure what is in his ears and what is in his mind.

that is the first moment,
eight years old, 
I understood getting old 
means growing into alone. 

2 comments:

lauren said...

This is beautiful. I absolutely love it. I was going to pick one part I liked, but I like it all.
Poetry!

lauren said...

http://mojgani.livejournal.com/321488.html

new favorite poem